Start a new topic

Unable to tether-shoot with external flash when triggering from remote shutter release

Hello,

My physical setup (see photo below):

- Canon 6D
- Pocket Wizard Plus X -> remote shutter release cable -> Canon 6D 
- Off-camera hot shoe cable -> Einstein strobe flash

Using this setup, I am not able to trigger the camera and flash using the PocketWizard when the Canon 6D is connected to Smart Shooter and Live View is enabled.

However...

If I disable Live View and press the button on the PocketWizard when the Canon 6D is connected to Smart Shooter, I can take a picture.

If I enable Live View, remove the remote shutter release cable, and press the exposure button on the Canon 6D when the Canon 6D is connected to Smart Shooter, I can take a picture with the flash.

If I enable Live View, remove the hot shoe adapter (no flash), and press the button on the PocketWizard when the Canon 6D is connected to Smart Shooter, I can take a picture. 

Can anyone shed light on how to take a photo from a PocketWizard when:

Live view is enabled, Canon 6D is connected to Smart Shooter, and Canon is connected to flash via hot shoe?

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately this is a common restriction when using liveview.

When a camera is tethered to the computer, and liveview is enabled from the computer, then the camera itself will stop accepting input from other sources.

This includes input from manual operation, so for example, pressing the shutter button, and input from external triggers such as a pocket wizard or remote control.

We don't really have a way round this restriction!

With our setup, we use a set of pocket wizards to trigger the shutter remotely and have a set of pocket wizards on the hot shoe and our flash power pack to trigger the flash (on a separate channel). The cameras are tethered to Smart Shooter with live view enabled and we have no issues. We use 5D Mark III bodies. Hope that helps.

Login or Signup to post a comment